Sunday, September 30, 2007

A Grand Wedding

Yesterday, September 29, my good friend Paige married Israel Mosqueda. They have been together, really, for about 10 years. This is remarkable, since they are only in their 20's.

Paige is such a good friend, and such a beautiful person, I want to honor her marriage in my blog.

I have known Paige for 8 years. All that time she has loved Israel. She said from the beginning of our friendship that he is "the one." I wondered about that, but she has never wavered in her devotion to this nice young man. Paige attends to details very well. Her wedding did not provide the exception to the rule.

She of course, is The Beautiful Bride. (I hope to share a couple of pictures in one of my future posts).

We attended this gorgeous wedding. It was Em&M's first wedding that she will remember. It was the longest ceremony I've ever attended, and we arrived just as the processional ended.  It appeared to be a High Mass at St.James Cathedral in Redondo Beach. A picture perfect day gave us a picture perfect and loving ceremony. The girls held out very well until the last 15 minutes--Emily said, just nearly outloud, "mommy, I'm bored. I want to go home now." Little did she know there would be six more hours of additional boredom for her.  Sarah mentioned that she doesn't want her wedding to be "such a fuss, nor so long droning and boring!"

Whew! That means I may not have to save $100k for her wedding! Other guests and I estimated that this one cost the parents about $75-90k.  Watch out, Daddy! 8^) (I kind of like the ad that popped up while posting to you: Hawaii Wedding from $599)

The reception, located at the Palos Verdes Country Club, continued the beauty and elegance of the occasion. Cocktails and hors d'oeuvres provided refreshment while we waited to enter the grand ballroom, which offered us a spectacular panoramic view of the South Bay to the north. Gifted with a clear night, we could see the skyline of downtown Los Angeles, and all the way to the Santa Monica Mountains, from sunset until very dark.

I (thank you Mom) suggested to Sarah that she bring a deck of cards. My mom, funny but practical lady that she was, always brought a deck of cards to receptions. She figured someone would get bored and play a couple of games. I used to think it was kind of, um, rude. However, now that I'm a mom, and find receptions kind of boring myself, applaud the practice. Sarah and Emily had a great time playing 21, War, Slap Jack, and I don't know what other games with Jim, my other college friend Wendy's husband. He seemed perfectly happy to do that with the girls. I think they went home with a new crush each.

Graciously, Paige allowed photographs (by the official photog, even) of Emily and Sarah with her. (Hopefully one will trickle down to me sometime before the end of the year).

However, before the cake was served, the girls had reached their limit of endurance. Emily really wanted "to go home now." Sarah, who, unable to find her coat earlier froze in the air conditioned ballroom, and began her "I'm cold, I'm tired…" tradition of whine. As soon as the cake came to our table, I (just wanting to taste it) had a few bites and then began the ritual of gathering things, saying good bye and actually driving the 45-minute ride home.

Neither girl offered a comment of "I want a wedding just like Paige's." This of course, brings me great relief to know it. Their father also feels gratitude for that. We will always appreciate Paige and Israel for that! (grin)

I know other things I want to write about the wedding, the day, etc., but I need to move some furniture and rearrange some bedrooms to feel a little bit ready for my new job that starts in a week.

Toodles


 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home