Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Frustrating Keyboard Shortcut keys

Please allow me to say first that I have been using Microsoft Word since before Microsoft Windows existed. I taught MS Word for DOS, and Windows for 2-1/2 years.

I am frustrated with a change in keyboard shortcuts. After 20 years of using the
“ctrl _ + B” key to boldface my text, suddenly I notice that this shortcut key combo does not work to boldface my text. I have to enter “ctrl+shift+B” now.

What gives? Perhaps it’s been this way for this particular version of Word for Windows, and I just didn’t notice it until about 2 months ago, but sheesh! It worked quite nicely to hit “ctrl + B” and get bold faced text! Now, when I use this shortcut key sequence, I get a window that says, “Linked Style Sheets.”

I realize I don’t use Word as much as it could be used, but why would this simple very-much used command change for something that I think most users of Word would rarely need, or even know exactly what function a “Linked Style Sheet” macro would perform. Is it just me? Have I had a major brain lapse? Hasn't it nearly always been "ctrl + B" to get boldfaced type?

Vent off for now…

1 Comments:

At 11/2/05 02:51, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arrrgh indeed, oh, I feel your pain. It is so totally unnecessary to do that (switch the shortcuts around). But isn't there some way you could customize it back to the old combo? I rarely use Word these days although I used to -- a lot -- and my dim mind seems to remember it was possible to customize quite a lot? But I may very well be wrong :)
Love, me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home