Monday, February 27, 2006

Ironic, Don't You Think?

Irony of Ironies—

The VA has approved my father for something called “Aid & Assistance.”  The only thing we await now is the assignment of a fiduciary.  The company acting as go-between told me an examiner would come to see me, I guess to see if I’m fit to be a fiduciary.
I hope so, as I’ve been acting as his fiduciary for nearly three years now.

However, the nursing facility where my father was transported last Friday requires Dad to apply for MediCal immediately upon entering the facility.

This is where it gets catchy and ironic:  The VA, when it approves Dad’s A&A, will pay the aid retroactively to the date we applied.  This date was October 1, 2005.  However, if MediCal sees this money in Dad’s account, they will make him “spend it down” until he has less than $2,000 of total assets.  They “graciously” allow him $35 per month for “incidentals.”

So…I have to time things just perfectly, so that if and when the VA sends the retroactive payment plus the A&A monthly payments, it won’t spoil Dad’s application for MediCal.

He just can’t win.

I visited him tonight.  I spent nearly an hour with him. Poor soul, he’s so ill.  His left leg only moves reactively to other muscle groups; it is not functional at all. It bends, and ends up in what we might feel odd positions.  His left arm is completely flaccid.  I picked it up and his hand flopped limply just like a stuffed bunny’s floppy ears.

He is so very sad. He is so very lonely.  Also frustrated, since he can’t make sense of where he is and why he is there.  This is probably where he’ll live for a long time. When we talked this evening, he asked me every few minutes either how I got there (the nursing center) or how and why he was there.  He just can’t wrap his mind around staying there, and when he does, he gets sad all over again.

I simply don’t know what to do.  He is so weak, can’t bear weight on his left side at all; it takes two to three people to get him from a bed into a wheel chair.  I had to give up his apartment today, since the medical team at the last hospital he visited said there was little or no hope of recovering in any significant way from his last stroke.

My heart, from my more youthful and idealistic days, tells me to take him into my home and let him spend his days with my family. My family and friends, as well as other advisors, from my current life, all tell me unanimously that it would wreck me, and be unfair to my husband and children.  I’m so torn.

I want him to know that we love him and care about him so much.  It breaks my heart to see this loving, vital man’s body and mine betray him like this. I think about him constantly.

Am I being selfish or loving to have him in a nursing center, where his meals and meds are controlled; there is a registered nurse to take care of his health needs, and then (not “so that”) my family gets a little more of my time?

Or, am I being loving or selfish to want him in my home, where he can at least watch our family dynamics, see the girls grow up a little more, watch them laugh and play, bringing him some little bit of joy in his last years?

Or, as I’m prone to think, am I just insane.

I don’t like being a grownup.



2 Comments:

At 28/2/06 13:43, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch, Ouch, Ouch and Ouch!!! Dear Niece, as your dad’s brother - it is my opinion that you are looking through a stained glass window. You see the “WHAT IF” beauty from your side BUT as a friend (preacher) used to say, “On the other hand there is a wart”. Your dad is not near as sad where he is as he would be at your home - where you would not be able to provide the care he requires (even with paid help). No one in their right mind would think you should jeopardize your family and your health. You would be doing him a disservice to even try.
Aunt Nana says to tell you to STOP YOUR GRIEVING AND GUILT FEELING. There will be plenty of time for that when the time comes.
She says for you to just be there for him, continue to let him feel your concern and love.
We all appreciate you going all out to search for the help resources and see that he get the best of care. Just wish we were close enough to help - We would be just an added burden. You have our love, trust, sympathy, prayers and support ….
GUPP & GAN

 
At 1/3/06 17:47, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Charming Charmaine,

I know, I know, I know ... this is tough. My dear old dad is still at the nursing home. We're a part of the "sandwich generation" in that we're being slightly squeezed with the caring of both our parents and our kids.

But, I just wanted to tell you that I went through a similar financial situation for my beloved mom who passed away 5 years old. With my siblings' ok, I opened a new bank account under my name and put almost all of my mom's money (which wasn't that much) just so that the Medicaid could pay for her nursing home expenses and my mom would still have spending money of her own to buy gifts for her family (I was her personal accountant ;-). That worked out fine.

By the way, keep asking your daughters to draw pictures for your dad and keep hanging them up on the walls wherever your dad may be. That really makes my dad happy even when we're not visiting him.

Hugs to ya,
Lori (the deaf Dec. mom)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home