Saturday, December 30, 2006

New Year's Traditions for Prosperity and Good Luck?

I read an article in the newspaper Thursday about things people do on New Year's Eve to ensure/increase the chances of good luck and prosperity in the New Year.

Just wondering--we are a fairly diverse group; I'd love to hear what your New Year's traditions are. My mom always said Italians make lentil soup on New Year's Eve. She never said whether or not we had to eat it. I did buy lentils at the Italian store yesterday to make some. The article had a Mexican tradition of coring an apple, pouring honey in the core, and then putting coins into it...I think the honey was for goodness/sweetness, the apple was for good health, and the coins were for prosperity. I guess the Chinese plant a kumquat bush at Chinese New Year for prosperity.

Any other traditions? anything you do for hopes of a good New Year?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home