Thursday, October 12, 2006

Oh No

I think it all started with painting and getting crown molding, plus nice baseboard, and scraping the acoustic ceiling. It happened then, too.

The new dining room set didn't help much. It's beautiful. Pedestal table with two leaves, eight chairs, matching china cabinet with lights and mirrored backing, all in a dark cherry, matching our cabinets for the TV and accessories in our family room.

Well, looking at the beautiful dining room set forced us to look at the carpet in the dining and family rooms. I went shopping.

I found something affordable, that we could pay for with cash. It's also attractive, and we decided to put wood flooring (fake wood, but well...) in the hallway from the bedrooms to the family room. That's all we wanted to get re-floored. The installers are supposed to arrive this morning to take care of all that.

Last night, Scott and I moved the huge TV, the accessories and the cabinet components holding it all together. The TV was the last thing we moved. When we did, we saw something not pretty at all.

We saw a mark where the baseboard meets the carpet. It spanned up about a foot and about two feet across. Black, brown, some white (our wall is sort of an acorn squash color, and the carpet is beige). We measured from the spot to the end of the wall, and found that the spot starts exactly where our shower resides on the other side of this wall. Not only that, but this leak or whatever it is, sits right where all the electronics are for the TV, components, etc.

So, this morning, the carpet guys are supposed to be here, and I can only hope the plumber gets here first. All this I get to deal with by myself. My "d"H left for work an hour early this morning. I wonder why. He doesn't like this kind of stuff. Do I?

If Dad was alive and relatively healthy, or Uncle Cliff lived closer (or both), one of them could look at it for me and tell me what I need to do. Now I'm at the mercy of a well-reputed, expensive plumber. Dad was right. I maybe should have married a carpenter. Maybe he'd have a friend who does plumbing. Oh well.

Tom Hanks is right; it's a money pit.

2 Comments:

At 12/10/06 12:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see why you haven't been answering my Emails lately.
Thanks for including me with your dad. Look like you have a pretty good problem. Better have that wall checked for mold!!! This could be a part of your health problem. It could be a problem for the girls also. Be sure that all traces of dampness are removed and replaced. If you are on a cement pad it would be a good idea to scrub the area with bleach before the carpet is put down. If your house is on a foundation with floor joice make sure that the wood and ground under the house is treated and cleared for future problems... GUPP & GAN

 
At 12/10/06 19:48, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see you blogging again!

We have budgeted for a big kitchen remodel, but I am afraid to start. I'm concerned it will get too out of control, we'll go way over our budget, we won't agree on stuff and we'll fight. It's not enticing.

You seem to be faring well through all of this. Although, maybe some of your illness does have to do with mold??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home