Sunday, January 11, 2009

Scott’s Birthday

So. My poor husband.  Yesterday we had plans to go to dinner together. Sarah had an overnight b'day party to attend, and we thought we had plans for Emily, but that didn't work out, so the three of us planned to have dinner. 

Poor Scott got home from work to find two extra girls here; their moms had asked if their girls could walk home with my girls and stay here till the moms got here to take the girls home.  One seemed like a little scare of an emergency, so I said yes, and the other was only for a half hour, so I said yes to that too. (The emergency mom said that the ex husband had threatened to wait at the bus stop and take her daughter "away."  Since he doesn't know me very well and at least doesn't know where I live, it figured my home would be a safe place for her to wait for her mom to get off work.)

Then Emily tells me she is very sad because she doesn't get to go with the big girls and see Marley and Me.  Has anyone seen this movie? 

I already have a bronchial thing that everyone else has had.  Plus, since everyone else has had it and is done with it, they think I should be healthy by now, too.  But I'm not. (just a little side note)

We planned to leave for dinner at 4:30 so that it would be early enough to beat crowds and hopefully get Em into the theater on time to see the movie with her sister and birthday girl.  So when Emergency Mom asked if I could just take her daughter to the party, that meant we'd be home until at least 5:30, the earliest I felt ok to drop the darlin's off at the party. I discuss it with Scott, he seems already angry about something, and says "fine."

So we get the girls to the party, and the three of us leave (Scott, Emily and myself).  He now wants to go to a different place thinking that going to where we planned would at this time take too long to get Emily to the movie. Realizing that Scott's birthday is more important, I tell Emily she and I can go see the movie some other time.  That brings the roof of the car down in tears.  She wails, "I want to go to Chili's!!!!"  Scott, in his always present let's please Emily attitude, says, Let's go to Chili's. 

I already mentioned that I'm not well, and Chili's is not what my doctor would have ordered. At all.  But, it's Scott's birthday, and I say we ought to go where YOU want to go; he repeats Let's go to Chili's.

So we go to Chili's.  It seems as if the whole city is at Chili's, which convinces me we should have stuck with our original plans to go where we wanted to in the first place. The wait was long, the service took awhile--it just appeared that the entire restaurant staff came unprepared for the Friday night crowd that showed up at their doorstep.

It was so not a Happy birthday celebration for Scott. He didn't want dessert...said something about the great spice cake waiting for him at home, which didn't exist.  We ate our dinner...I could only choke down a little of mine; we dropped him off at home; I took Em to see Marley and Me with the big girls.  (I welcome a discussion of the movie at another time). Scott didn't get a card from me, or his daughters, didn't get a cake, and was asleep when Emily and I returned home. Sad. 

I awaken this morning feeling worse for some reason. After getting up, I realize I'm getting a bladder infection.  Always on a weekend, when the doctor isn't available, and the doc on call can't be disturbed for a prescription call.  I know what I have, I know what I need, just let me talk to the doc and get it. No, now I have to wait until Monday.  I go into the family room and smell something wonderful. I said so, and Scott said "thank you."  I look into the oven, baking something, and see spice cakes baking.  He had made his own birthday cake.  I guess he really wanted it.

So now, I feel guilty for not baking him a cake, not preparing for his birthday better than I did, not preparing Sarah for her b'day party, not making better plans for Emily so that Scott and I could have a date, not having the house better prepared and more peaceful when he got home, allowing the girls to come over after school, everything. 

I did find him a card and put it somewhere he'll find it when I'm not around.  I did ice the cake--though when I started making it, he had already gone and bought the canned frosting. So I used that.

Also, I feel guilty that I don't really feel that guilty, being sick, tired, and a few other issues.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home