Sunday, June 20, 2004

The Event

It rained and rained and rained some more. M (the groom) left a few hours ahead of us with the sound equipment and music, and dressed there. K and I stayed here and relaxed a little then we got dressed. Since it was raining, and we had to take a train then a motorcoach to the Party, we decided the kids could dress there.

After a 1/2 hour train ride to the center of Oslo, we hopped onto the motorcoach where a few friends already waited for us. When the bus was full, the party began, and we left for the farm/nursery/cheese factory/party location.

Load of food, loads of drink, and champagne flowed freely. People laughed; introduced themselves to each other, introduced themselves to me and other wise made certain that Sarah and I felt welcome. I got BD1 changed into her pretty dress and shoes, and did her hair. Proud mommy that I am, it gave me great pleasure that every person there told her she was beautiful and that she was the "belle of the ball." She looked every bit the princess she is. Poor thing; we had to awaken her from 2 separate naps--one at K&M's house, and one on the train.

Dinner was gorgeous. For the first time in my life, I tried venison stew. Fresh cheese, sliced meats, salmon, venison pate, rice, potato salads and fruit salads, and so many different desserts, including a cake decorated to look like a motorbike. Scrumptious!!!

Befor supper began and the noise in the room increased, the new bride rose to her feet and made a speech about how happy she was that everyone was there, how she felt lucky to have such beautiful friends and family in attendance, and in hers and the groom's life. She made a couple of announcements and everyone got to eat.

During dinner, the speeches started with K's diminutive friend, who had very graciously translated what she said into English just for me. I may post it in the blog--it was very very sweet and loving. The rest of the speeches I understood not a word. Everyone laughed quite a bit, so I suppose the speakers were very funny, especially the coach driver, who had driven nearly through a tree to get us to the farmhouse and had damaged his coach. He evidently told several off-color jokes and stories.

M's father gave a very loving speech, and shared some letters M had written while he was an exchange student in Pennsylvania. Plus, he shared some postcards that his grandson the Norwegian Kidlet had written him when travelling.

BD1, by this time, had fallen asleep in my lap, and we moved her to a small settee where she slept for the rest of the evening. I was disappointed a little that she did not get to dance with the groom or with kidlet even once.

I, however, got to dance with the best man, who was a terrific dancer, and a great lead, but who danced with a woman who has two left feet. I was so embarrased and he spun me right round so to speak so much that I got dizzy and my nausea nearly, em, "errupted."

The party was beautiful, fun, laughter and festive spirits prevailed. Even knowing my dear friend is ill, we all managed to have a great time. A few moments of private conversation and tears with a couple of the other guests occurred, but other than that, Fun and Frivolity were the themes for the night.

We got back on the damanged motorcoach, rode to town, continuing the party on the coach, and reached the center of Oslo sometime near 0300 (am) Sunday. We hired cabs and came back to my gracious hosts' home, where the children got tucked in and the grownups stayed up for another couple of hours talking and laughing about the evening.

K & M have such great friends. Gracious and generous are better words to describe their social circle. Champagne seemed to be the gift of the night; we came home with 2 cases of champagne, and several bottles of wine, plus other gorgeous gifts.

At about 0530 we finally got to bed and dreamed away the morning. What a terrific trip this has been.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home