Friday, July 02, 2004

So, I ought to write about Norway

I'm not sure how much of my version I've already shared, so instead of going back and doing research to find out, I'll start over.

I remember writing about the flights, so I won't repeat myself except to say that we LOVE Jet Blue. Great staff, great "mystery snack", great tv's with satellite on the back of each seat.

We easily got through Brussels customs, and since Norway is part of the EOC, there was no need to go through customs at Oslo's airport. In fact, not one person was stationed at the customs desk, and we walked right through to the terminal exit.

There waiting for us was the most beautiful sight. A smiling happy Karine. We embraced and got into the rented car that she had most generously obtained, and took a drive through the countryside to her home. We managed to stay up until about 8:30 pm Norway time--well I did; Sarah crashed about an hour before me.

First impressions of Norway: Landscape is so green. What a marvellous place to see everyday! What a great place to be now! Even if it was cloudy, it was gorgeous. I hadn't seen so much green in years. And the Lupines!! nearly three feet tall, and so many colors! They sprouted out of the ground shocking the green into an even more beautiful landscape. I wish I could paint. That's what I would paint and hang above my desk so that I could still see it every morning. I wish I'd taken more pictures of the lupine that sprung up everywhere...then I could just photoshop it and use it as a wallpaper.

Roundabouts! I lived in England for a short time, so I remember those, and there is one not far from where I live now, which wreaks havoc with people's nerves here. K was disappointed that the car we hired had no power. Even for a 5-speed manual transmission, she said it was gutless and mentioned that having some guts was the reason she had specified a Golf. Now I felt a little embarrassed, because when we were signing rental papers for the car, I opened my big mouth and said, do we get a free upgrade? (half-jokingly, but I always try it. Most times it even works!). Well, we got the upgraded car. Yup--the gutless one. A Suzuki something or other.

First impression of the soon to be married couple's house: What a beautiful home! I couldn't wait to see the inside, and for those of you who saw the Mom's Spa Weekend of 2002 house, K's house rivaled it. Beautiful wood everywhere--on the floor, on the walls, and even, on the third floor where Sarah and I slept, on the ceiling. It was a beautiful honey color that warmed the whole house.

When we got inside, I had to see "The Verandah". It is everything and more that I had imagined. What a gorgeous view. I do kind of remember writing about this before, so I won't go on and on about it, although I miss that verandah nearly as much as I miss hanging out with the K and fam.

When we arose the next day, it was the Day of The Event. After a very restful relaxing morning (which I didn't understand, since the Bride to be was so relaxed and concerned for our comfort), we got ready to ride in M's beautiful car to the courthouse. It was black and felt so elegant. Much nicer than my 11-year old dented and bumpy jalopy.

We parked and walked the so-called "short-walk" to the courthouse. I had not worn any kind of heels for several months, and only stood in them for a little while then, so walking on cobblestones with my new $2.50 slides (am I cheap or what?), challenged me. I don't think my hosts noticed--I tried to walk behind them the whole way. Sarah looked quite nice in her little blue dressy dress with the matching jacket. It was cold, and this dress was made for the summer, so she got to wear a sweater and her turquoise rain jacket, too, which you will see in the wedding pictures more than her dress.

K and M introduced Sarah and me to the official witnesses to the marriage. The best man, his lady-friend, and the maid of honor (best maid?), K's diminutive friend, who I can assure you is statuesque in grace and personality.

Time to go in and get to business...

The ceremony was really very nice for a civil ceremony. K glowed, and dressed in a simply elegant outfit of a black skirt and a goldish shimmery jacket. M really cleans up nicely, too...Had never seen him in a suit, and um, without embarrassing myself again, looked downright gorgeous. Joakim, our Dec Baby of 7-1/2, looked even more grown-up and handsome in his dark suit and tie. He is just a beautiful child.

After the ceremony, done completely in Norwegian, so they could have actually said anything, we walked next door to lunch. No matter what Karine says, the lunch was great. The food tasted great, the decor beautiful, and the company was simply grand. I thought the service was relaxed to allow us ample time to "dine" rather than scarf the food and get out. We were nearly the only party in the restaurant, so I thought the nearly invisible service added to the ambience. My darling daughter, fell asleep in the booth--she couldn't take it anymore. After 19 hours of flying, and I think only a few hours of sleep, she was exhausted. Poor Joakim had no one to play Thumb Wars and Rock Paper Scissors with anymore.

We took a suspiciously short walk back to the car. I wondered if they had given me the "scenic" tour of the city in our previous walk. M drove us home, K insisted on sitting in the back seat with the children, who promptly fell asleep with both their heads resting on her shoulders. I took several pictures of this sight.

After the children were snug in their beds, the three adults sat on The Verandah and drank some wine together to further celebrate the Event. K was so adorable: she kept saying to nearly everyone and over and over again--by the way, have you met my husband? They love each other so very much and it's easy to see it just by looking at them together. I am so very honored and privileged to have been permitted to share the celebration.

Next time, The Party

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home