Sunday, September 11, 2005

Taking an extended break

Hello,

Have you missed me? I've missed me. I have taken a break from writing for awhile, and it may continue after this post, since school started for my oldest, and will start tomorrow for my youngest.

In addition to that, the next week will provide unlimited things to do now that, da- da da daaaa....

THE PAINTING IS DONE!!!

yes, folks, the girls' bedroom is painted, the ceilings are scraped, retextured, painted; the family room is painted and re-lit, though we are having to think about how to get enough light in the room...we may have to buy our own electric company soon...the living room and entryway are both painted and have the nicest crown moulding installed as well as painted.

Now, we can start embezzling money from the groceries for the front door and the garage door. Will we be done then?? Oh, no, we will not be done. We have to figure out how to either save our destroyed flooring (by Emily, Hamlet and the construction workers), and then decide how to update the fireplace.

However, first things first, and the main reason I may not be posting too much is that I'll be weeding "things" that won't be returning to the living areas of our home. I hope that only about 50% of the things we took out will come back in.

So far the only progress we've made (and believe me, it's pretty good progress) is that Scott has built the new beds for the girls' bedroom and is now stacking them into bunks so there will be room for their dressers and a
few choice items.

When we decide exactly what goes into the bedroom, we will then sort the play room (that damn playroom just won't leave me alone!!) again, with much less "stuff" in it, and Mommy will be happy, plus Daddy will be very nearly happy, too!

So while Daddy makes the beds, I'll put my dining room together and go make a fruit salad for a bbq/swim party we are going to in a few hours.

Maybe I'll be back next weekend...if the house is mostly back together, then I'll have time to play.

Any comments on flooring replacement material would be genuinely appreciated. I'm interested in wood, cork, tile, the ads and disses of any of them in the kitchen, hallway, living areas, whatever suggestions I can get I'll use to make the best informed and economical decision I can make.

Great to be back, even if it's only for a few minutes.
So

4 Comments:

At 11/9/05 11:54, Blogger Gudmans Dautter said...

What is this?!?!? Spam on my BLOG now?
Cut it out, guys.

 
At 11/9/05 19:58, Blogger califmom said...

I love my cork floors. Ours are 4mm tiles, but most of the options now are installed more like a floating wood floor w/the cork adhered to planks tongue and groove planks. It's soft, quiet,warm (natural insulator), moisture resistant (think wine cork), and resilient (no dents from dropped items or doggy toenails). Lowe's carries a small selection of cork. But, I've found more online - lots of color and pattern choices.

 
At 12/9/05 04:51, Blogger dsimom said...

All I can say is, stay far away from linoleum tiles. I hate my fake parquet ones. We inherited them with the house. In our upstairs, we have pretty pink and white ones. They are poppin up and cracking at the edges. Poor quality, poor look and not great wear. My father spent lots of time installing his "correctly" and they are still popping up and causing problems.

I'm looking into ceramic tile for my kitchen. I've lived with it in a few rentals and liked it and it is pretty cost effective if you are not looking for anything too fancy.

 
At 13/9/05 17:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!

I love, love, love my traditional oak flooring. We have the 2 inch planks (I think?) that were put down and then finished. It cut down on the squeaking floors and they are a breeze to care for. I just checked on carpeting for our bedroom and I think I can have the hardwood laid for not much more!!!

Congrats on getting things painted and LOTS of luck with downsizing. What little I did this summer helped so much!!! When are you flying out to help with our remodel???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home