Sunday, April 15, 2007

Hippo Birdy 2 ME!!

Hey there!


 

My Birthday arrived this past Friday, the 13th of April. Thank you to all who sent cards and even prezzies to me for my day! A lot of people showed me quite lovely thoughtfulness, even though I am a terrible birthday rememberer. I even have one of those "birthday reminder" thingies on my calendars (as well as from American Greetings and BlueMountain). So I am especially grateful when someone remembers my birthday.


My dear littlest daughter gave me a wrist pin cushion to replace one she accidentally broke last week. It is adorable. My oldest daughter gave me a darling apron and matching oven mitt—a gold color with a chicken on it. My dh gave me Wicked tickets!! We go next Sunday afternoon, and will have great seats!! This excites me a great deal!



One of the dearest presents I received was help in the form of 4 little girls (Sarah, Emily, Joyce and Kelly--my two "adopted" daughters from across the street and Em's best friends).  They worked very industriously and happily emptying the playroom into the garage and then sorting all the "stuff" into categories.



We did like the organizers on the show Mission Imposs---Organization, and put up signs for "Toss" "Keep" and "Donate"--When we got all that done, there were lots of extra little parts and partial games that needed sorting.  The girls sorted toys, games, books, crafts and extras into separate categories on the garage floor.  Meanwhile, Scott put the family room home theater back together and we actually have room to walk around that room, the dining room and OUR BEDROOM!!! again!!!



Back to the playroom...you may recall my angst about that room. Long story short, this is the 4th incarnation of that d&&m room and I'm thinking it may stay arranged this next configuration for a long time, simply because I'm tired of re-doing and re-doing and then re-doing it again.  I have made the statement before, and I'll make it again.  If the room cannot stay neat and tidy with toys put away at the end of the day, anything on the floor by 7:pm will be thrown into the trash.  I'm trying hard to get over the fact that the toys were expensive and other things were sacrificed (like buying new underwear for me) so the girls could have them.



But anyway, I am so thankful for the girls' hard work. And believe me, it took all five of us!  I may visit Target this afternoon for 4 gift cards.



I must also write about the restaurant where we ate dinner on Friday for my birthday. The restaurant is called Wood Ranch, and if you know of one near you, you really ought to try it. Baby back ribs that melted in your mouth--tri tips that just delighted the taste buds.  they had delicious eye-candy salads (and wait staff, too, heh heh heh), and the desserts looked awesome. Since it was my birthday our server brought me a hot fudge sundae.  It was so very good.  The restaurant was a little noisy, but not so much that we couldn't hear each other. 



They also had unbelievably superb mojitos, too! (that though always makes me smile!).



Then, last night, close friends invited us to dinner at their house.  Their oldest daughter used to babysit our daughters, and now sometimes their son does.  They treated us to a great meal, (a gift card to one of our favorite other restaurants, too!), delicious non-chocolate cake and the grownups played a dice game while the kids watched a movie and played video games.   This was one of those "great time was had by all" nights.



Californians don't usually have weekly card/game nights, but a few of us are trying to implement them.  My mom's family was raised in Ohio and they did it, and since most of the family moved to California, Wednesday nights became "Card Night" at Uncle Tony's.  That is still one of my favorite memories of my family growing up.



So we've talked about arranging a night during the week that's open to whoever wants to come over and play either cards, darts, dice, bunko, or some board game.  It will be lots of fun once our house is all put back together.



More about all of us soon, I hope.

1 Comments:

At 16/4/07 16:49, Blogger Malia said...

Happy birthday! I didn't even know it was your birthday! Hmm, I wonder why... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home