Friday, April 29, 2005

UPDATE!!

Well! Isn’t it about time I told all four of you about my eventful trip Paris? Yes, I thought so, too.

We left the 16th of April, on an Air France non-stop flight from Los Angeles (LAX) to Paris (Charles de Gaulle). We arrived on the 17th at around 11:30 am. It was a great flight; the staff were wonderful, S & E traveled terrifically. I was very proud of them. They entertained themselves and slept when they were supposed to. They didn’t even bicker too much.

Air France had great little TVs behind each seat, with plenty to entertain adults and children.

I wanted to take a picture of one of the flight attendants, but I didn’t. He was walking down the aisle, carrying bread and water. I thought this would be a great ad: “The Bread and Water Airline.” They did serve a full meal plus snacks.

Just a few minutes before landing, I noticed my throat seemed scratchy. I thought, O dear, I hope I don’t get sick. By the time we got to Marne, where Paris Disney is located, I had a full on sinus infection. Yippee.

When we saw the first view of the park from the coach, we ooh’ed and ahh’ed. What a stunningly beautiful place! The hotel (The Sequoia Lodge) is beautiful. It sits next to a lake, and it’s a short walk to the Disney Village. Once you walk through the village, the train station to Paris is right there, and so is the entrance to Disneyland and Disney Studios. There is a giant hot air balloon tethered to a dock on the lake, and for about $15 each, a person can take a short ride on it. We thought we’d like to try that.

Sleeping Beauty’s Castle is gorgeous, and comes complete with it’s own fire breathing dragon in the cellar. The girls loved it and had to see it every time we went through the castle.


Jet Lag

The first day: After arriving at the hotel, leaving our bags and having to wait a few hours before we could actually get to our rooms, we walked over to Disneyland Paris. I was fading, having not slept very much on the plane, but I tried very hard to look awake. We rode Pirates of the Caribbean, and I barely remember it, I was so drowsy. All I really remember were the two dips and not wanting to get wet.

We ate at Café Mickey’s for lunch, and went into “euro-shock” at the prices of everything. I wish I was the kind of person that isn’t bothered by prices when I’m on holiday, but I am really bothered. Especially when the prices seem expensive even before the currency exchange is calculated.

For example, while walking around I noticed a sign for crepes—the very same yummy concoctions I survived on while a poor student the first time I visited Paris. €9 or about $13.50 US! Jheesh! We ate for a total day on $15.US when I was a student here!!

I noticed another price that astonished me. The Rain Forest Café, not exactly known for economical prices took even more money from the tourists. €19.50 for fish & chips. That’s $28.00 US! For a freakin’ dish of fish and chips!!

I don’t want to sound cheap, but if I sent a postcard to you, it may have to be your birthday and your Paris memento from me.

Ok, enough about the sticker shock of Paris. We still thought it was a great place, and enjoyed ourselves even though S and I were exhausted.

Dinner at the hotel’s buffet, and to bed we went. We managed to stay up until about
9:00 that first night, Paris time. The girls both slept through the night. Our room was very nice. It was bigger than I expected—about the same size as an American hotel room. We had two double beds that seemed more like queen size, and yes, a great big European bathtub that I looked forward to using.


The First Full Day

We got up late, later than S wanted to get up, went downstairs for our first French breakfast. What a great layout of food they had for us! The little cheese packets, sliced ham, salami, and turkey, yogurts of many flavors, croissants, chocolate chip croissants, café au lait, orange juice, milk, cereals, fresh fruit, butter, jams, and mmmm, nutella in individual packets. I loved it! Got to have my favorite breakfast, and I was happy. Talk about carb loading! I love Europe.

We rode on Space Mountain II, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was bumpier than the Space Mountain in California, but it was really fast, and dark, and great! We also visited Les Mystères du Nautilus and on the second step, just as my dear husband said, be very careful, the steps are slippery, yes, I slipped down about four steps, twisting my right ankle and catching my left hip on the corner of the step. My first souvenir! I got a bruise, on my left “cheek” of about ten inches long and three inches high. We continued, got attacked by a giant squid, and went on to find another ride. I figured if I kept walking, it wouldn’t hurt so much the next day. I took a nice, big ibuprofen to make sure of it.

At the end of the first day, we found we had forgotten a few things, but also found we could live without them quite easily. I can’t wait to use the beautiful, deep tub soon!.

G’nite for now.

3 Comments:

At 30/4/05 04:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yes! It is definitely time to let us in on the details!

 
At 30/4/05 05:21, Blogger dsimom said...

The word coronary was used?

I'm still waiting...

 
At 30/4/05 07:47, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Start! I am still waiting for the entire story too! $28.00 for fish and chips - I would have lost 10lbs on that trip because I couldn't see myself paying those kind of prices for casual food.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home