Sunday, June 12, 2005

Summer Reading—right on time…

I’ve finished a most worthy book, entitled The Stars Dispose, by Michæla Roessner. It tells the story of Tommaso, son of the head chef of the Medici family in Renaissance Florence. What a great read! Now, I read Amazon.com's reader reviews, and the reviewers seem to not agree with me. I enjoyed the book--added my own imagination of the Italian/florentine father, Gentile ("jen-tillee"), unlike the reviewer who thought Ms. Roessner didn't give Gentile's character enough definition. I didn't think the book was finished when I read the last page, but then every author has to choose when to end her own book.

Now, the week that summer starts, my summer reading list continues. On to the Time Traveller’s Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger. Last year’s best seller list, I believe, but I’m about 10 years behind in my reading, so to read a best seller from last year is quite the coup, I think!

1 Comments:

At 14/6/05 07:59, Blogger dsimom said...

I'm so glad you liked Stars Dispose. It is one of my all-time favorites.

Time Traveller was also way up there on the list. We read it for the on-line Mothers & More Book Club and most of us just loved it. Some found it very confusing. This is also a first work for Audrey Niffenegger. Both books are amazing first-works. I just hope my novel will be half as good as either of these first works.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home