Monday, July 25, 2005

Update on Poppy

Boy--i haven't written in my blog all week, have I.

Well--Poppy is doing somewhat better now. The results of the MRI determined there weren't strokes this time, but I still have my suspicions because of his symptoms. Plus, his doctor keeps saying he has Alzheimer's and dementia, which I thought were kind of the same thing.

He regained most of his ability to speak, thankfully, but still has trouble finishing sentences and coming up with the word he wants. It's nearly ironic--he used to kind of yell at me for putting words in his mouth, and now I have to do that or we'll never finish a conversation. Now he seems relieved that I am putting words in his mouth.

He still is unable to walk. The hospital staff tried to give him some physical therapy, and after a week, he still could only take one, maybe two steps.and then needs to get back into the wheelchair or bed. He's also still very weak from the pneumonia.

However, his skin color has returned, he looks at me when I visit and does seem to know that I'm there, and, he doesn't fall asleep while I'm saying hello, or while he's talking.

1 Comments:

At 25/7/05 11:42, Blogger dsimom said...

Charmaine,

Have they said anything about electrolyte inbalances or low blood pressure? These can cause some of the same symptoms you were seeing and they are very common in older people especially in the hotter months.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home