Wednesday, July 25, 2007

An Interview!

Hi there, my good, bestest friends!  I thought I'd write what is on my mind and will most likely go into my blog to you first.

Tomorrow the city of Cypress will interview me for an Executive Secretary position in the Parks & Rec department.  I have been sweating over it since they called me last week (not only because of nerves, but hot flashes, too, I think).

So far, the biggest decision has been what to wear, and learning everything I can about the city. With your help, and the help of my family, I saved about $200 and decided to wear my eggplant colored suit jacket with a black skirt and a lighter eggplant colored shirt. That solved, on to the next subject.

Yesterday, the city presented a "Grand Re-Opening" of the Community Center. It has been under re-construction for nearly a school year, and recently finished, the Council wanted to show it to the public. I had read that it started at 6:30, but it actually started at 5:30..

My family went to the county fair yesterday; we took two cars so that I could leave in time to attend this great opportunity to learn a little about my interviewers, namely the Parks & Rec Department head. I left in adequate time to freshen myself and get there at around 6:30-ish...as I started to leave, something made me look it up on the web, and there was the time of the event: 5:30. Oh well.

I got to the "schmoozing opportunity"--it was nearly done, and I regretted not getting there at 5:30 (I had the starting time wrong; thought it was at 6:30)--there had been a ceremony, cocktails and appetizers, lots of opportunity to schmooze. However, even if I had got there early enough, I think I might have felt uncomfortable. I felt as if I was crashing a private club party. The website said it was for the community's residents to attend, so that's why I thought I could go and blend.

The mayor was there tho, and he really made me feel more comfortable. We talked for a few minutes; he pointed out the dept head for Pks & Rec and her staff. The Parks & Rec dept staff all seem so "well put together" Laura has a short dark-red spiky hair cut, is tall and very thin. You know the type? I hope she's kind. I don't know if I'd fit in with them or not. I guess I'll just have to see how the interview goes. They sure know how to throw a great party, tho.

The mayor said I looked familiar, and I mentioned that a friend had introduced me and that I'll be working with his wife in the fall with the hospitality projects for our kids' school. We chatted for a few minutes, and we talked about the city's progress over the last 30 years. We do have a great parks and rec department, that provides many, many activities for kids and adults at reasonable fees.  I've wanted to work for that department for several years. Can you imagine having your office in a park?? That would be so very cool. I'd always be close to nature and not in a cement campus of corporations.

When I returned home, after a healthy dose of Golden Spoon Peanut butter cup w/cookie dough topping (can you say deflated?). I felt as if I have no chance whatsoever to get that job.

However, today is another day; I'm going to do my best, whatever that may be and see what happens. I just hope I'm articulate enough to answer the questions adequately without stumbling over all my words.

By the way, our severance package is all but gone. August will be a very challenging month financially. Scott has feelers out for jobs, but no answers yet. I'm not feeling gloom and doom just yet, but we're on the brink...

On the bright side, my left hand feels wonderful!! no pain except at the incision sight, and no numbness nor weird itchy/nervy feelings either.  I'm nearly looking forward to Friday (the 27th) to have my right hand surgery.  The girls appear to be having fun just hanging out at home with us...it nearly feels like an extended vacation, only we're not doing anything or going anywhere.

I hope I can calm myself enough to not literally sweat the interview. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home