Thursday, July 26, 2007

THE INTERVIEW

Well, from all of your lips to God's ears!

I got there on time!!

I looked GREAT!! I think it was the first time since my new haircut and color that I styled it the way it's supposed to look!

My makeup didn't get on my clothing

My shirt absorbed all the perspiration and my jacket hid it being a dark color.

The panel was very gracious and pleasant, which helped me calm down a little.

They had a prepared list of 10 questions, of which I can only remember these:

Give us a situation of where you managed a project...
As project coordinator for the move of computer hardware for two departments into one and into a different new building, after planning our strategy, we staged the project on Friday afternoon, sent everyone home, worked most of the weekend, and by Monday the department was (at least electronically) ready to work. For the most part, our moving computers and accessories was seamless to the department staff of about 100 people.

Tell us about your past work experience....
Blah blah blah Caltrans, GasCo, teaching, computers, support,

Tell us about working in teams
I've often worked in teams; the groups I've been involved with have covered a variety of issues, yet we all have come to a consensus together with minimum of conflict. I have found myself to be a mediator of sorts when there was conflict, being able most times to understand both sides of an issue, and facilitated the resolution of the issues.

If your manager told you she wanted you to re-organize the filing system the way it has been for years, and you know a better and more efficient way to organize the files, how would you handle it?
I would diplomatically approach the manager and learn the reasons for the organization the way it is...perhaps it's easier for her. Then I'd suggest and explain my idea, showing the efficiency of it. If she still wanted the files the old way, then I would organize them the old way.

Give us an example of assisting your manager in a project or issue, anticipating his/her needs...
blah blah blah---in one department where I supported a Gas Supply manager, he nicknamed me Radar O'Reilly because I was able to obtain the documents he needed for a meeting or a phone call before he asked for them. He also assigned me the responsibility of writing his correspondence, and I did. As a result his overall evaluation from his superior was raised two levels ( this actually happened--he showed me the evaluation citing the improved written correspondence as reason for his improved evaluation).

How do you perceive the job of an Executive Secretary; what duties do you perceive that an Exec Sec performs?
As a shield, a filter, a buffer between her and the public, as a supporter who can act independently and do tasks or projects (with her approval) that she either doesn't want to do or doesn't have time to do, as a person on her team who makes her job easier.

Why do you want to work for Cypress, and specifically for Parks and Rec?
This answer was so good (evil grin)
I've lived in the city for 15 years, and have taken advantage of the Parks and Rec department many times over, including tennis, dance, swimming, cooking, and music classes. I've often wondered how the department does so much with such little resources. I know that the staff is what makes it so successful, and I've often been in the office asking if they have job openings. I'd like to be a part of such a successful and dynamic team of people. (I think that's what I said)

The other three questions were just as riveting, but I've entertained you enough (hee hee hee hah hah)

so, I think it went well, but now I have to wait 2 weeks for their decision.

They smiled a lot, and they seemed genuinely pleased with my responses. Like I said--from your lips to God's ears....light a few candles for me!

And thank you for the wonderful support and great posts of encouragement. Leah you are really funny! (she's seen me in my jammies!!)

Love and Hugs to all,
Charmaine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home