Thursday, April 27, 2006

Poppy and Our Updates

Sorry, I haven't really updated my blog for awhile besides with joke-y stuff...and really, there isn't much new with Dad. Plus it's time for my monthly snail mail letter, isn't it.

His kidneys have begun to fail; he had another urinary tract infection that would not clear with two rounds of I.V. antibiotics, and the docs tested him. Sure enough, his kidneys were not processing the toxins, nor the antibiotic well enough to fully treat the infection. He's lost about 15 lbs, too. But the good side is that he's alert, very happy to see us when we visit, which is only about twice each week, just because of the girls' schedules.

We've snuck him a chocolate malt, a small scoop of ice cream and a cake (at different times). Well we didn't sneak the cake--that was for his birthday. He loves the sweets, but his system cannot tolerate them. So we are only able to take him sweets, especially with cream in them on rare occasions.

Dad loves good food. He's always prided himself with his cooking and baking skills. When he and Mom lived in Hesperia, there was always a freshly baked cake on the side table, waiting to be offered any guests who might come visit. There were always visitors, too. So about twice each week, Dad would bake one of his delicious cakes. With that said (written), it's tough to see him eating what constitutes blended gruel...one scoop each of green, beige and a darker beige glump. I am not exaggerating. It looks awful. I think Gerber's baby food would be better for him. And taste better, too.

Other good news...we got Aid & Assistance for him from the VA for his WWII service, so instead of being allowed to keep $35/month after State Aid takes their "pound of flesh," he'll be able to keep an additional $90, which is good, because that might cover his prescriptions, and sundries, etc. Plus, the VA has helped me get him approved to get his prescriptions from the VA, which may run a lot less expensively than the $400 we are paying now. So, all in all, the financial situation may be more nearly settled than it was last month. Whew!

So, that's the update for now...As for the 4 of us plus Hamlet, we keep on keepin' on...the girls are doing very well in school; the dog only misbehaves only occasionally; Scott still loves his work--in fact, he took Sarah with him today for "Take your kid to work" day. They are both very excited about the plans Disney has made for the kids.

Me? I'm good. More like Very good. I've lost 17 lbs since the first of the year, and I'm beginning to feel much better. I have consultations with a neurologist and a surgeon for different reasons.

The surgeon will discuss my options with me for my baby gall stones and the neurologist will test the nerves in my hands and my feet. I get weird tingly sensations in them...similar to falling asleep, except much more sharp and intense than even when the blood starts circulating again. Plus, it itches at the same time, causing me to have to rub or scratch my fingers and toes until they nearly bleed.

Enough about me, I'm sure everything is stress-related. That's what they usually tell women with odd problems anyway.

Today I'm baking cakes for a birthday party at which about 110 people will attend. I'll make 4 1/2 sheet cakes and decorate them. Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

At 28/4/06 16:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like I said, we check out your blog almost every day. I see you took my advise. I can't remember what I said that was funny either BUT I see people laughing at me all the time.. It must be my southern ax-cent. I did have to go to the ear doctor the other day because I couldn't hear with my left ear. He found the trouble right away. He told me he found a suppository in that ear. I kenw right then what I had done with my hearing aid.
GUPP & GAN

 
At 29/4/06 00:31, Blogger Gudmans Dautter said...

See?!?!? What did I tell you!? My Uncle Cliff has the best sense of humor and gets me to laugh all the time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home