Friday, June 22, 2007

Areas of Gratitude

So, after that last entry, I see that I need to acknowledge the good and the blessings I have.

I am very grateful that we have a loving family and a great group of friends who share ideas and suggestions to help us, and who have solidly been there for us. I hope we have been and will be there for all of you.

I've been so blessed with two great daughters. They've begun to play well together, help each other, cooperate. They are learning to coexist. Perhaps my continued lectures about how family is always there, how we love each other no matter what, and how friends come and go, they please and hurt has helped them see how to behave together. Friends are usually situational. You make friends wherever you are, be it a soccer team, a softball team, a classroom or other situational. Family, however is always around you, nurturing you with love and food, always cheering for you, deep down inside loving you for no reason at all except that you are.

My husband is more patient than he wants to be, especially with me. He deserves a standing ovation for that; since he starting staying home during the day, he's picked up a lot of the "things to do" around here, and I've been able to fight my demons a little more concertedly (my hope is to reign victorious over those demons or at least annihilate some of them and render the rest ineffective).

We have our home; we're able to keep up the payments so far, and still have groceries, too. I feel deep gratitude for that. We also still have health insurance, which with my upcoming surgeries is a true blessing.

We've kept our sense of humor, though sometimes it gets pretty dark, but we still have reason to laugh and find joy in our situation. How many other families can go to the beach in the middle of the day and play during the week?

Our health is generally good, another great benefit for us for which we are eternally grateful.

I have a sewing machine, fabric and patterns and am able to make Sarah and Emily their summer clothes, and Scott a shirt or two. Plus, I'm able to make gifts for others, saving money and yet giving gifts that reflect a labor of love.

We are able, though not very good at it yet, to grow enough vegetables for our little family of four. I just read about the Victory gardens of the 2nd World War. The families grew their own veggies and fruit so as not to burden the economy with their needs, and letting the produce go to the soldiers. I know from experience (my parents had 2 green thumbs each) how delectable a fresh picked sun ripened tomato tastes, and that home grown cauliflower can be so much more edible than store-bought. I want that for my children, and we'll try, every year, 'till we get it right.

One of our cars is paid in full; the other car's full payment is not too far off, and when I do find employment, it will be completely paid even sooner.

There are so many more blessings for which I am truly thankful. Our friends and family are of utmost importance to us, though. Our gratitude will never end for that.

1 Comments:

At 23/6/07 10:04, Blogger Bookhorde said...

And I am grateful to have you for a friend -- you have such a caring, compassionate heart, a wonderful sense of humor, and you make the world brighter by being in it. Your family is incredibly lucky to have you at its center.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home