Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Hummingbird don't fly away--don't fly away!

We are so excited...

Our rather puny back yard often hosts many hummingbirds. We love to see them; the whole family runs out to watch them and see if they light onto a branch and stop flitting their tiny little wings.

We've learned that one little lady (My oldest named her Emerald) chose our backyard tree in which to build her nest!

Oldest called to me to tell me about the little hummingbird she saw, and when I went to her, we found a beautiful, cozy nest--the smallest nest I've ever seen! (well, duh!). I couldn't resist--I lowered the branch, and inside, were two very, very small eggs. The were barely 1/4" long if that. The nest is maybe 1-1/2" in diameter, and perhaps 2" deep. Emerald made it of sticks (of course), and spider webbing from the home "next door" to her of a rather large spider, who looked able, to me, to eat those little birds. However, the nest was well hidden. At first we thought it was just a knot on the tree branch it's so well camoflauged.

We've been watching them every day; oldest reports the progress of the little mommy and her eggs, and just Monday, the eggs hatched. All four of us watched with amazement the little birds, halfway out of the eggshell and trying to finish the job of hatching.

Such small little things. It's truly wondrous that hummingbirds survive in this huge world.

Yesterday, oldest told me that she stands with her index finger held out next to the nest, and Emerald will land on her finger to feed the babies. Can you imagine?!? A hummingbird landing on your finger? Let alone to feed the tiny little hatchlings that need so much protection?!

Oldest seems to have made friends with Emerald. I hope the new mommy returns for her next nesting project.

Pictures to follow, as soon as I figure out my new camera (a Nikon 200D! for my Birthday!! Thank you DDH!)

1 Comments:

At 10/5/06 01:52, Blogger Tanakasan said...

it's beautiful moment ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home